Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello, and welcome to Michelle’s Living Room. You can read the boards, but if you would like to join the discussion, you must register.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2017 VirteQ

Photo

Currently reading.................

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic
  • LocationA dry lakebed high in the mountains

I have to admit to a slight guilty reading here.

I've noticed that there seems to be a small group of books (quite often the independent authors on kindle, but some others) where the author has written in quite a.. hm, juvenile manner. With a mary-sue character, and that sort of dialogue that George Lucas might pull out., But still, in some utterly bizarre and non-understandable way the story still catches the interest and you end up reading 3 or 4 books in a series about the mary-sue in question.  Just something is oddly fun or quirky enough to catch the interest and keep me reading more even when my mind is having that mental cringe over the writing depth.

There is one author, who supposedly writes erotica. (Jane Austen fanfic) But it is so utterly bizarre, illogical, and horribly written, that it makes me laugh like mad, and I can't seem to help buying every one of her books. Of course, most of the Jane Austen fanfic might be what you are thinking of.

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:57 AM

~@~ Aquilegia is the genus name of the columbine, my favorite flower. They look like they must have faries living nearby.~@~

~@~My avatar picture is from the painting A Place of Her Own, by James C Christensen.~@~

• Cath
  • Members
  • 36 posts

I got books with my Christmas money.  I had Touch (which I enjoyed) and Pegasus (which made me furious), Marillier's The Dreamer's Pool (most enjoyable), books 2 and 3 of Kate Elliott's gate trilogy (quite good) and the first two books of her spiritwalker trilogy (excellent).  Unfortunately, I also had The Hidden City - unfortunately because that's the only one of the series I have.  oh, well, next time.

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:32 AM

• LocationA dry lakebed high in the mountains

We played AD&D until the end of university, when everyone went off to grad school. But if we’d managed to keep going, oldest son would have killed it for years with his...unusual and meagre sleep schedule. But the whole DMing or GMing thing always struck me as similar to writing in some ways -- not so much the words, but the OMG when your characters turned left into the vast unplanned instead of right into your scenario. I did not DM. It would have been like herding sarcastic cats.

I just saw this...

We have a group of old friends who get together occasionally to role play. We have been playing Pathfinder, because D&D 4 and 5 are annoying. I must agree that once you have kids, scheduling is difficult.

What struck me as hilarious was the comment about herding sarcastic cats. We have two guys in our group who I regularly want to bop upside the head because they insist on playing characters who are chaotic-stupid. Not c-g or c-e, they claim to be c-n, but they are just contrary and difficult. But, they have been our friends forever, and they are actually pretty great most of the time.

Sometimes we play other RPGs, anything by White Wolf calls the game master, the storyteller. Because it can be exactly like writing a story.

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:00 PM

~@~ Aquilegia is the genus name of the columbine, my favorite flower. They look like they must have faries living nearby.~@~

~@~My avatar picture is from the painting A Place of Her Own, by James C Christensen.~@~

• LocationDeepest, Darkest, South of England
I've been reading Chris Hechtl's Wandering Engineer series.

...When reading a sci-fi story and the author slips a passage into the middle of a starship damage repair sequence "Where is Waldo? Anyone seen Crewman Waldo? Damn it, I know he's around here somewhere."

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:20 PM

"Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis"

• Cath
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Ehtiar - that's funny.  I hope he was safely around somewhere, what with his close relationship to red shirts.  ;)

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:11 PM

• LocationDeepest, Darkest, South of England

Been reading Elliot Kay's Good Intentions series. 

The first book had this as part of the synopsis. After seeing that, who wouldn't at least give it a try?

WARNING: “Good Intentions” contains explicit sexuality, violence, nudity, inappropriate use of church property, portrayals of beings divine and demonic bearing little or no resemblance to established religion or mythology, trespassing, bad language, sacrilege, blasphemy, attempted murder, arguable murder, divinely mandated murder, justifiable murder, filthy murder, sexual promiscuity, kidnapping, attempted rape, arson, dead animals, desecrated graves, gang activity, theft, assault and battery, panties, misuse of the 911 system, fantasy depictions of sorcery and witchcraft, multiple references to various matters of fandom, questionable interrogation tactics, cell phone abuse, reckless driving, consistent abuse of vampires (because they deserve it), even more explicit sexuality, illegal use of firearms within city limits, polyamory, abuse of authority, hit and run driving, destruction of private property, underage drinking, disturbances of the peace, disorderly conduct, internet harassment, bearers of false witness, mayhem, dismemberment, falsification of records, tax evasion, an uncomfortably sexy mother, bad study habits, and a very silly white guy inappropriately calling another white guy “nigga” (for which he will surely suffer).

It turned out to be a fairly entertaining entry on the urban fantasy genre. The protagonist being a guy just about to finish school and head to college, bravely interrupts what he thinks is some weird ritualistic torture and gang rape of two girls. Ends up saving them only to discover that they happen to be a guardian angel and a succubus, the supernatural is real, and that in the course of rescuing them a magical ritual went askew and bound them both to him. Shenanigans ensue.
It has a rather nice balance of humour, adventure, questions of romance and a slight tinge of erotica. So yes, your mileage might vary if you really don't like sex scattered in your story. I will say that while there are a whole bunch of sex scenes in it, they don't seem to be there just to be sex scenes. It always makes sense as part of the on-going story and characters.

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:55 PM

"Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users