Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello, and welcome to Michelle’s Living Room. You can read the boards, but if you would like to join the discussion, you must register.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2017 VirteQ

Photo

Currently reading.................

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic
  • LocationUK

Like it says on the title........what are you currently reading..........

At the moment :-

Throne of Glass 1 - Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass 2 - Crown of Midnight by  Sarah J. Maas

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

Enzybiotics Edited by Tomas G. Villa

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:52 PM

• LocationUK

Currently reading Green Smoke by Rosemary Manning to the littlest member of the household......mainly for the dragon charming songs and the re-telling of old stories and legends......

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

• LocationDeepest, Darkest, South of England

Well I finished Cast in Sorrow this afternoon. Since the dead-tree isn't released over here in the UK for another week or so, I snagged an ecopy from harlequin as well.

Waiting for Laurence Dahner's new Ell Donsaii to be released soon, and pondering what to read in the mean time. I might re-read John Ringo's Under A Graveyard Sky.  Heh, I'm a sucker for snagging Baen's eARC releases for some authors.

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

"Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis"

• LocationUK

Eddingsfest.........because you know you have to............ :mellow:

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

I have to say, as I've grown up the only Eddings I can really enjoy re-reading are the Elenium and the Tamuli.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

• LocationUK

I have a soft spot for certain authors......although at the moment I am laughing at my late aunt's nephew.....(yeah I'm not sure how or if I want to admit the family ties there....).....he is moaning that the "knight-things don't speak English........and it is difficult to read,."...it would not be so bad but he is 19 years old..... :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

On a lighter note The Fall of Five by Pittacus Lore is proving to be idea popcorn fodder...........

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:01 PM

• Tchula
  • Forum moderator
  • 73 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

I love the Eddings stuff, too.  I admit The Mallorean was basically a rehash of the plot of The Belgariad, but I just loved the characters so much I didn't care.  I also like the Elenium and the Tamuli (Sparhawk is cool!)  Those two series are some of my comfort books; it's like visiting old friends when I read them.  :-)

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:56 PM

• LocationLos Angeles -ish, CA

I just finished Blood Song by Anthony Ryan, Magic Rises by Ilona Andrews and Cast in Sorrow.  

About to start Chosen by Benedict Jacka and The Crown Tower by Michael J Sullivan.  

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:31 AM

• LocationUK

Everything stops now until I have re-read Seamus Heaney's translation of Beowulf.......Ireland has just lost one of it's greatest poets............ :(

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:29 PM

• LocationUK

Beowulf finished......so is Green Smoke.

Kethani by Eric Brown

The Rifters Trilogy by Peter Watts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

I love the Eddings stuff, too.  I admit The Mallorean was basically a rehash of the plot of The Belgariad, but I just loved the characters so much I didn't care.  I also like the Elenium and the Tamuli (Sparhawk is cool!)  Those two series are some of my comfort books; it's like visiting old friends when I read them.  :-)

I actually like the Mallorean better than the Belgariad.  To me there are funnier interactions and the characters are more lively.  Reading as Silk is basically seduced by Velvet into marriage cracked me up.

And I love the Elenium and the Tamuli series.  I have probably re-read Eddings books  9 or 10 times.

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:17 AM

I just finished Blood Song by Anthony Ryan, Magic Rises by Ilona Andrews and Cast in Sorrow.  

About to start Chosen by Benedict Jacka and The Crown Tower by Michael J Sullivan.  

I recently finished Magic Rises as well and I really liked it.  I am waiting for the new Anne Bishop novel about the Others which comes out in 2014.  The first book in the seres, Written in Red, is great.  I dont know how many times I have re-read it.

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:19 AM

I also just finished Magic Rises, good series, fun writing, strong female lead. Seanan McGuire's new "Chimes at Midnight: An October Daye Novel" just auto-downloaded to my Kindle this morning. I think some people on this forum might like this series.

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:25 PM

I finished Magic Rises the other week. Re-read Laurence Dahners latest Ell Donsaii story a couple of times (there is something to be said for wading through the morass of kindle self-publications for those odd gems), did an idle semi-skip read through some sections of Skirmish while lazing  for an hour in the bath - bad habit I know, but soaking in a hot tub with a good book is just decadent luxury ;)

Heh, I won a competition from Baen Publishing, so I'm getting a signed copy of Wen Spencer's "Eight Million Gods" at some point in the near future. But I'm having that odd pause between "proper" reading at the moment. Haven't picked up any new books and not quite sure what sort of mood I'm in to re-read something in my library. I'm actually kind of pootling around reading fluff from several roleplaying game books and doodling thoughts around for characters and potential adventurey type ideas for campaigns.

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

• LocationToronto

I finished Magic Rises the other week. Re-read Laurence Dahners latest Ell Donsaii story a couple of times (there is something to be said for wading through the morass of kindle self-publications for those odd gems), did an idle semi-skip read through some sections of Skirmish while lazing  for an hour in the bath - bad habit I know, but soaking in a hot tub with a good book is just decadent luxury ;)

Heh, I won a competition from Baen Publishing, so I'm getting a signed copy of Wen Spencer's "Eight Million Gods" at some point in the near future. But I'm having that odd pause between "proper" reading at the moment. Haven't picked up any new books and not quite sure what sort of mood I'm in to re-read something in my library. I'm actually kind of pootling around reading fluff from several roleplaying game books and doodling thoughts around for characters and potential adventurey type ideas for campaigns.

You read books ... in the bath.

T_T

(My son’s godfather does this; the first time he took a book with him when he went off to the shower, I think I shrieked. He pointed out that if he holds his arm out of the stream of water, the book doesn’t get wet. Mostly.)

Do you DM?

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

Well it's for that time when you're really just soaking in the tub rather then washing. Just to de-stress, run hot water, sink back, just holding a book up and being careful.  Now the shower, that would be a really silly idea... The only time I've gotten a book wet is when the cat decided for some incredibly strange reason to run in and jump onto me while I was in the water..

The trouble is if you really get into a good book, and you realise you've run through most of the book and it's actually about two hours later then you meant it and the really hot water is actually pretty damn cold. I've made that mistake a couple of times. :wub:

Hm, DM, by which version of abbreviation are you using? Oh wait, my brain pulled a mental fart there. I have been the games master a few times. The last couple of years my gaming group actually pulled apart due to the trials and travails of life. Work in other cities, marriage and the births of children kind of pull them apart and leave little time for everyone to get time for it.  I find I just like to doodle things around just for the mental exercise. And possibly pulling a Walter Mitty.... :unsure:

Edit: Actually the one that freaks me out the most is when people leave a book open and face down so they don't have to search for the page they were reading,  and I'm just going "the spine!! put a book mark in and close it!!"

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

• LocationToronto

I have been the games master a few times. The last couple of years my gaming group actually pulled apart due to the trials and travails of life. Work in other cities, marriage and the births of children kind of pull them apart and leave little time for everyone to get time for it.  I find I just like to doodle things around just for the mental exercise. And possibly pulling a Walter Mitty.... :unsure:

Edit: Actually the one that freaks me out the most is when people leave a book open and face down so they don't have to search for the page they were reading,  and I'm just going "the spine!! put a book mark in and close it!!"

We played AD&D until the end of university, when everyone went off to grad school. But if we’d managed to keep going, oldest son would have killed it for years with his...unusual and meagre sleep schedule. But the whole DMing or GMing thing always struck me as similar to writing in some ways -- not so much the words, but the OMG when your characters turned left into the vast unplanned instead of right into your scenario. I did not DM. It would have been like herding sarcastic cats.

And ... my husband used to put a book face down and deliberately crack the spine so that it would then fall open to the page he was on. He did not do that to my books -.-, and yes, I married him anyway. 

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:57 PM

We played AD&D until the end of university, when everyone went off to grad school. But if we’d managed to keep going, oldest son would have killed it for years with his...unusual and meagre sleep schedule. But the whole DMing or GMing thing always struck me as similar to writing in some ways -- not so much the words, but the OMG when your characters turned left into the vast unplanned instead of right into your scenario. I did not DM. It would have been like herding sarcastic cats.

And ... my husband used to put a book face down and deliberately crack the spine so that it would then fall open to the page he was on. He did not do that to my books -.-, and yes, I married him anyway. 

I've got friends in North Carolina who get involved in the big Fantasy/Sci-fi conventions who keep inviting me over with promises to show me what "a real con is like". But they still get together with friends to do rpg's and boardgames. Of course, they've always included the kids as they've grown up.  Which does kind of boggle the mind in some ways for just how much work that has to have been on certain levels.

Heh, I've got to say it's a lot less effort to play the PC then the DM. We had a couple of different folks take the role and their styles were quite different. One was a fair master of improv, but at the same token because he was constantly improvising it all as we went along, the world building around us suffered, especially when you should feel like your characters are growing and developing and interacting with the world. There's something very off-putting about being treated as the same low-level dweebos who got sent to hunt down the giant rat infestation after you've saved the kingdom a few times.. ;)

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

• LocationUK

Re-reading Peter V. Brett.....again......... :)

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:47 AM

• LocationLos Angeles -ish, CA

I recently finished Magic Rises as well and I really liked it.  I am waiting for the new Anne Bishop novel about the Others which comes out in 2014.  The first book in the seres, Written in Red, is great.  I dont know how many times I have re-read it.

I liked Magic Rises, but not as much as I'd hoped to. It felt to me a bit too polished, with some misunderstandings that frustrated me.  I'm not familiar with Anne Bishop, but will look into Written in Red.  

Meanwhile, I finished Chosen by Benedict Jacka and was impressed.  Tight plot, stronger characterization and lots of action.  Jacka really stepped up his game.

The Crown Tower by Michael J Sullivan was quite entertaining and well worth it imo.  I especially liked certain scenes where some characters were establishing their own business in poverty.  It reminded me just a bit of The Hidden City, though not nearly as rewarding, of course.  I seem to have a huge enthusiasm for fantasy characters with little means scrounging, trading, buying food and clothing.  I don't know why, but I'd imagine that there are stranger things to enjoy.   :)

Next up for me is The Legend of Eli Monpress by Rachel Aaron.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:57 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users