Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello, and welcome to Michelle’s Living Room. You can read the boards, but if you would like to join the discussion, you must register.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2017 VirteQ

Photo

Chronicles of Elantra - Favorite lines, paragraphs, scenes?

funny descriptive snappywriting

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
  • Cath
  • Members
  • 36 posts

I thought it might be interesting to hear what other people's favorite bits are.

I can start with a few of mine, because otherwise it seems unfair.  ;)

Teela and Severn meet

I started Cast in Shadow over again and I had forgotten how much fun that meeting was to read.  It's short, but has snappy suggestive dialogue and you *know* this is going to be a good character.  (pg 127-128 Luna paperback)

Kaylin and Bellusdeo are out walking

I'm not sure which book this is in, sorry.  The line that gets me every time is "There may have been flirting."

Short version, please

In Cast in Honor, the first stop at Evanton's, he asks her for the short version of what's been going on.  This makes sense, as people are usually trying to get Kaylin to get to the point, stick to the point, and *is* there a point?  So she tells him the short version in two short sentences, and Evanton says, "Thank you.  I'll take the longer version now."  (pg 291 of the Mira paperback)

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:14 PM

• Cath
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Oh, and Tiamaris's bit about history:  "History is not our guide, it is not our friend.  It is a passing stranger, one which shadows legend, sprinkling it with the seeds of truth."  (Cast in Shadow, pg 483 of Luna paperback)

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:55 PM

• Cath
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Cast in Secret, Kaylin's first visit to the Oracles.  Before, when Sanabalis says he frightens them, Kaylin points out that he is a dragon, and he says, ". .. they can still taste it in the air I disturb simply by breathing." 

And a few paragraphs down he says the wonderfully evocative "Death is the road you walk, from the moment you first breathe."

Her encounter with the Oracle Marai, who calls Kaylin a book and wants to read her.  When she and Sigrenne are talking about Marrin and the Oracles with a kind of comparison, and Kaylin says, "suicide isn't illegal" and a few lines later SIgrenne says "Infection happens."

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:11 PM

• Ali
  • Members
  • 31 posts

I enjoyed the visit of both the Emperor and Nightshade to Helen at the end of Honor.  :)

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:16 PM

• Cath
  • Members
  • 36 posts

The emperor is especially fascinating because he shows up so seldom.  :)

I also liked Sanabalis lighting the lamps (candles, torches?) in the Library by breathing.

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:01 AM

• Ali
  • Members
  • 31 posts

I also like the scene where Severn and Teela meet in Shadow. 

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:11 AM

• Cath
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Cast in Ruin.  The end - I love Bellusdeo so much.  I nearly cry over those last few paragraphs.

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:13 AM

• Ali
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Overall, I think one of the most powerful scenes is when Kaylin meets Nightshade. That interaction between the two of them and then Severn (when Nightshade slaps him), when she is marked, I think is one of the best.

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:32 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users