Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello, and welcome to Michelle’s Living Room. You can read the boards, but if you would like to join the discussion, you must register.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2017 VirteQ

Photo

CAST IN HONOR

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic
  • Ali
  • Members
  • 31 posts

In my continued quest for geographical information, it said in Cast in Shadow that it was an hour walk to the 'heart' of Nightshade, and a further half hour to the castle. They were going slower than normal, according to the book so, um, maybe the fiefs would be ten(?) miles from border to interior edge. The whole of the fiefs would, maybe, be twenty five miles or more, I'd say more, across. Which means that the city proper is probably quite a bit larger than my second estimate.

I found this as well.

And maybe I should hold off until I have read a bit more.

From Cast in Chaos, there are mountains to the south of the city, the Southern Stretch, (where the Aerie is). She sees mountains rise in the distance that aren't the Southern Stretch, but I'm unclear if this is just what she sees through the eyes of the Devourer or if this is what is really there. 

Oh, and I apologize to the original poster since I've diverted so off topic into geographical stuff.  :unsure:

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:33 PM

I'm back after a very unexpected sad event in my life; but I'm glad of the discussion that followed even if I couldn't read it at the time. It's so very interesting, specially the aspects that every reader brings to the discussion which shows that we all see the same words and apply them, or think of them, or follow them in different ways. To start I have a comment separate from the Michelle's books discussion.

Aquilegia, I met the flower of your name about 2 generations ago (about 50 years). I fell in love with them and used to plant them in my yards; they are truly lovely. Now, they are a reminder. I'll do my best to have them again in my yard this summer even if they are in containers.

I'll go first to those who spoke about the fiefs, and the fief names. It's real bad that Michelle does not like maps in her books (she did say that years and years ago when I (I think) and others suggested maps to understand the fief's areas. If I remember correctly, at readers' request, she said either she does not like them or she doesn't know how to introduce them. I think, they should have been done in the first or second book, but now it's too late to adapt them to everything written. Do any of you remember that the fief left (I believe) to Nightshade was "lorded" by a woman. Nightshade never explained her but I was left with the idea that she could be Kaylin's mother and she sent Baby K.  to Nightshade's fief to protect her. She also, later on sent a young Severn to help take care of the child. I don't think any reader would believe that the woman with her as a kid was her mother. N once mentioned that woman to Kaylin, but she has never come out in any book. We don't know if her fief is also attacked or with problems from the center of the fiefs.  Unlike N's and Tiamaris fiefs, all the other fiefs are very unknown in the books; anything can happen in or out of them and can become a story for another book. But people from them should be coming to Elantra and doing things there. So far no, but eventually they need to come out and join the story; they need to do shopping in Elantra; some people must go there if just for shopping. Do any of you remember the picture  of a woman in N's table. We know it's there but it hasn't come out again.

I agree that Anteela can't be older than N; she was one of the lost children. As for Nightshade possible interest in K, it could of many reasons. As a male he is obviously interested in her like many others, but in addition she wants/need her powers; and I think he knows much more about her or who she really is with those marks than what we have been told so far. He is very intelligent, has a loooong knowledge, possibly as good as the Arkon but from the Barrani point of view or history. He can work with the dragons, which other Barrani's can't. I'm not sure if his interest in K is romantic, or more is the survival of his species or the whole of Elantra and all the races. He for sure considers K  as necessary and critical to all of them. He will do anything to assist her in her troubles because he knows she will be able to save everyone. He had expected her when she arrived in her fief, and I feel sure, he knew what she was going to be. His only mistake was he thought he could control her. There are many plenty adventures for all of them before the books are finished, and many mysteries still to be resolved.

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:55 PM

• Cath
  • Members
  • 36 posts

I believe the woman called Kaylin's mother in the books was Kaylin's mother.  I don't think I know anything about her father that I can recall.

The belief Kaylin has that she is mortal is consistent: if it turns out she was wrong, I can live with that.  I might be a little disappointed, because there's something to the idea of a heroine who is mortal rather than being one of the immortal class with all that goes along with that.  And if it turns out she was mortal but the power given to her will sustain her longer than most mortals, I can live with that.  Either way, sometimes the stories need something I didn't expect or plan for.

But pulling out the "oh wait, you were actually born special" card after the character has spent a lot of time identifying with the "nonspecial" can seem like cheating, as if it there's some unwritten rule that no one who isn't born "special" will ever be a heroine.  That may be one of those situations the writer just can't win: readers may complain if she is *or* if she isn't.  :)

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:19 PM

• Cath
  • Members
  • 36 posts

I didn't think Nightshade was going to "get a pass"  - I thought people were going to be really mad at him.  I don't think the Consort or the two main Barrani Lords, her brothers, have seen it yet.  I can't really figure what anyone would do about it except yell; I'm not sure it would cause an actual retaliation because of Barrani politics and politics in general.  Threats, maybe.  Sanabalis might be displeased, too.  Marcus will probably need a new desk.  Again.

If Nightshade had physically struck her, the damage might have been less obvious, depending on how hard he hit.

I wonder if he was amazed that she still could resist him.  Tchula, I had the same feeling about him being shocked.  The laughter had a strange feeling of him being not in control of himself, perhaps.

eta: I may have said this already.  Sorry!

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:14 PM

• Cath
  • Members
  • 36 posts

I may have to go reread to see if anyone anywhere has ever said anything about Kaylin's father, even Kaylin.

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:16 PM

• LocationOhio, USA

Kaylin doesn't know anything about her father. If anyone else has the knowledge they're close-lipped about it.

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:36 AM

• Cath
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Thanks, Aviania.

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:48 PM

• LocationColorado

Goodreads (I'm sure you've seen, but if not...) has posted a cover and description for Cast in Flight ;)

And more on topic: I'm assuming the burn will possibly heal by the time she sees most of the other Barrani. I really wish there was more detail on how a couple of things work (like her mark) but I'm more interested to see what happens next based off the blurp for Cast in Flight.

Posted 28 May 2016 - 12:33 PM

• LocationA dry lakebed high in the mountains
I have finished my exhaustive reread looking for geography. I am here to tell you, folks, that most of it makes no sense to me.

I am going to need to do some calculations and some map drawing to see if I can tease logic out of this. If not, well it is a misty, ethereal construct within Michelle's mind, it does not always require logic.

But one thing is for sure, the fiefs are a much larger proportion of the city than I thought.

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:49 AM

~@~ Aquilegia is the genus name of the columbine, my favorite flower. They look like they must have faries living nearby.~@~

~@~My avatar picture is from the painting A Place of Her Own, by James C Christensen.~@~

• LocationDeepest, Darkest, South of England

On the slightly pedantic side, I don't think that the fiefs are considered part of the city itself. More as.. attached to. Plus, throw in a certain amount of dimensional weirdness and flux, and I wouldn't be surprised that distance within and around the fiefs aren't exactly what they would be to everyone outside them...

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:40 PM

"Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis"

• LocationA dry lakebed high in the mountains

I seem to remember something about how the borders between the fiefs were supposed to be narrow, but could be surprisingly deep. i am sure that geography is not exactly as precise as we might wish. At least at the borders, certainly towards the interior. Isn't that part of the point of the towers, to keep things fixed in the real world, not some alternate reality.

Anyhow, here is my charmingly imprecise and rather messy map of how I think the fiefs look in terms of the rest of the city.

How the rest of the city looks, well, I can't quite pin that down. i have a list of stuff that has been mentioned in the books, and I have tried to make some kind of order out of it. but I think that it is impossible. I have chosen to think that because everything is given through Kaylin's point of view, and she is not terribly good at geography, it's appropriate.

Attached Files

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:07 AM

~@~ Aquilegia is the genus name of the columbine, my favorite flower. They look like they must have faries living nearby.~@~

~@~My avatar picture is from the painting A Place of Her Own, by James C Christensen.~@~

• Cath
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Interesting to look at!  Thank you, Aquilegia.

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:17 PM

Aquilegia I like your map.

so the area's we know about are:
Hall of Hawks
High Halls Barr
Nightshade Fief
Tiamaris Fief
Female Lead Fief
Ravellon
Leontine quarters
Tha'alani
Evanton Keeper Elani Street  Elemental Garden, Grethan apprentice
Imperial Palace
Oracles Halls
Gilbert Area can't remember the street name.
Helen
Aeries Southern Reach
Arcanist Hall
West March

Posted 31 October 2016 - 10:46 PM

A move from my home to a retirement community has me very behind in Michelle books. Tomorrow I will be on my way to Barnes & Noble, no matter what, and check on her books. It seems to me that another book should have been out by now. I know; I have to go to her website on her books. I donated about one thousands books to the library; none from Michelle, nor Sagara, nor West. Going back to some comments above: I really would like to see Michelle exploring one or two of the other fiefs. Maybe some of you will remember that in one of her first fiefs books. Michelle mentioned a lady in charge of one of the fiefs next to Nightshade's. No further mention has been made of that female fief master. I often wondered whether she was Kaylin's real mother. There was also in the narrative like a veiled interest in her by Nightshade. Nothing else has been written about her. I think is already time for us to have another adventure in another fief. Michelle, let's explore a new fief. Of course, what transition can we have to explain why no other fief has shown up in Elantra all these years. So maybe, one book that will introduce the remaining fiefs and their masters, and eventually we will have a book for each. It's becoming hard to believe there are more fiefs but nothing has happened in them.  There are so many books waiting to be written.

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:48 PM

Commenting in a topic above about the fiefs, so that we start looking at more places in Kaylin's world. There is no reason for Elantra not to look somewhat like Europe. No need to reinvent too much, and it will be fairly easy.  In addition, no one can come to claim that's my map, or my country. Or have the same map but change some of the borders. That will give us about 100 more books.

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:55 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users