Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello, and welcome to Michelle’s Living Room. You can read the boards, but if you would like to join the discussion, you must register.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2017 VirteQ

Photo

Miyazaki Hangs Up His Hat

news

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
  • LocationDeepest, Darkest, South of England

BBC News - Miyazaki Hangs Up His Hat

Japanese director Hayao Miyazaki, who won an Oscar for his 2001 animated film Spirited Away, is set to retire.

The 72-year-old's animation studio announced the news at the Venice Film Festival on Sunday.

Koju Hoshino, president of Studio Ghibli, said Miyazaki's latest project, The Wind Rises, would be his last film.

The director is also known for his movies Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo.

Mr Hoshino declined to take questions on Miyazaki's decision to retire, but said more details would be given next week at another press conference in Tokyo.

Spirited Away told the story of Chihiro, a 10-year-old girl who is whisked away to a spirit world "He wants to say goodbye to all of you," he said.

Miyazaki was not in Venice for the international premiere of The Wind Rises, which is showing in competition.

The director's 11th feature film tells the story about the engineer who designed Japan's World War II fighter planes.

Miyazaki - who is one of the most respected directors in animation - first came to prominence in the 1970s with his work in anime for TV.

He previously retired after the release of 1997 film Princess Mononoke, but returned to direct Spirited Away to great acclaim.

Howl's Moving Castle followed in 2004, and was nominated for a best animated feature Oscar.

In recognition of his five-decade career, he was awarded the Golden Lion for lifetime achievement at the Venice Film Festival in 2005.

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

"Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis"

• Tchula
  • Forum moderator
  • 73 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Well, if anyone deserves a wonderful retirement, it's him.  I really want to see his newest movie, The Wind Rises.  My favorite Miyazaki film is Howl's Moving Castle.  He will be missed, definitely.

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:07 PM

• LocationToronto

I’d like to see that, too. But I like to listen to the original audio voices, so I usually wait >.> 

No, I can’t understand most of what anyone actually says - the single exception being Totoro, which is mostly the language children use. While I was in Australia, I did see a movie that people compared to Miyazaki - but I found the comparison superficial on watching (it’s Children Who Chase Lost Voices, or alternately, Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below).

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

• Tchula
  • Forum moderator
  • 73 posts

Children Who Chase Lost Voices is a Makoto Shinkai film.  I haven't seen it, but I did see The Place Promised in Our Early Days, which was not that great imo.  The pacing was slow, and I found it boring overall, though I know many people rate it highly.

I want to see Garden of Words, which is airing on AnimeNetwork right now.  Maybe I'll check it out tonight.  I'd also like to see 5 Centimeters Per Second as well, then I can decide if I actually like Shinkai's work.

I'd really like to see Up on Poppy Hill, by Goro Miyazaki.  The Secret World of Arietty was beautifully animated, but the plot was fairly simple and not that interesting.  It must be hard to live up to his dad's success.  I don't envy him the task.

My favorite anime filmmaker is Satoshi Kon; I loved all of his movies.  Wasn't too crazy about his series Paranoia Agent, though.  But since he died, we won't get to see anymore of his beautiful work.  T_T

I also enjoy Mamoru Hosada's films.  He made Summer Wars and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.  I'd really love to see more of his work in the future!

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:11 PM

• LocationUK

So Totoro is a Japanese Clanger?

How do you explain a Clanger............?

..........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clangers

useless fact......the youngest civilian's ringtone is the alledged Clanger swearing...... :P

I love Miyazaki's work........there is not enough imho but there is some....... :)

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

• Tchula
  • Forum moderator
  • 73 posts

So I watched Makoto Shinkai's Garden of Words last night.  I enjoyed the story about a teenager and older woman who are struggling to find their paths in life.  The tone is understated, with much of the action having to do with the mental and emotional states of the characters, but the pacing reasonably moves the plot, unlike with The Place Promised in Our Early Days, which spent 15 seconds staring at a boring watercolor background painting at one point.  Of course, Garden is much shorter, only about 50 minutes or so, which was the right amount of time for the plot and background of the two main characters to unfold.  It's a hopeful story at the end, which is also nice.  One of the better anime to come out this year, for sure.

Now I have to find 5 Centimeters Per Second so I can watch it.

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:10 PM

• LocationToronto

Garden of Words just arrived at the store, but is still at the store. I was curious about that one, as it’s supposed to much more in keeping with the anime/story choices he generally makes. I haven’t watched 5 centimeters; I’ve read the manga and I’m not sure I want to watch it. I didn’t hate the manga, but found it exceptionally painful. I often find painful the things I consider largely self-inflicted, even if they’re familiar and easily recognizeable; it makes me want to smack people >.>

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:08 AM

• Tchula
  • Forum moderator
  • 73 posts

I know what you mean.  I understand 5 cm is about a long-distance relationship, which is always tough.  Dave and I dated long-distance for 4 years while I was away at optometry school, but fortunately, he had a good job and could afford airfare and phone calls.  Plus, our families lived in the same town, so we always saw each other at holiday breaks.  But I would say it's a very great strain that most relationships wouldn't survive, that's for sure.  ;-)

I've heard the ending of 5 cm is sad, but realistic.  I don't know if I'll like it, but I'm trying to get a feel for Shinkai's work.  So far he's 1 for 2 with me.

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:07 AM

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: news

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users