Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello, and welcome to Michelle’s Living Room. You can read the boards, but if you would like to join the discussion, you must register.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2017 VirteQ

Photo

Annarasumanara

Annarasumanara webtoons Naver

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
  • LocationToronto

http://www.webtoons....List?titleNo=77

Naver, as of about a month ago (maybe a bit more) has started to release their webtoons in English. All of Tower of God, God of High School and Noblesse have been translated, so chapters are going up concurrent with the native Korean releases.

Most of the rest have not been fully translated, but are being released at the rate of 1 chapter per week.

The link above is for Annarasumanara. I found it surprising, and moving; I don’t know if it will work for those who haven’t read a fair amount of manga, because it plays, it rests, against the various expectations and tropes of the genre - and against our own; there’s a tension in the reading because it is not immediately clear what the truth is, and what we as readers want the truth to be.

On the other hand, the site linked above really is meant for tablets or cell phones; it really doesn’t work as well on a computer.

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:08 AM

• Tchula
  • Forum moderator
  • 73 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Thanks for the recommendation.  I tried to read it on my desktop computer (because that's where I read and answer all my email) but the manga wouldn't advance pages for me.  I'll try to figure out how to access it with my Kindle after work today.  :-)

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:05 PM

• LocationToronto

The Naver webtoons are like the Korean webtoons - it’s one continuous scroll down to the end.

Actually, one of the horror toons has a really good prologue - I can’t remember the title, but it’s also a Naver toon - in that it’s one continuous image from load to scrolling end.

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

• Tchula
  • Forum moderator
  • 73 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

I got the webtoon to work on my Kindle!  Yay!  Now I will try to go back and read all of Tower of God, which will be much more pleasant sitting on the couch than sitting at my desk for hours looking at my desktop screen.  Hahaha...

Annarasumanara surprised me.  It's surprisingly darker than most manga I've read.  I think the art is interesting, although the weird way the mangaka draws the boy, Il-Dueng, is very distracting.  The girls consider him handsome even though his neck is probably 10 inches long?  Weird...  Everyone else is drawn normally, so I wonder why he and his family are drawn that way?  It probably has some metaphorical meaning that I don't get.  I hope the story doesn't take a really ugly turn, because it could certainly go that way with both Ai and Il-Dueng's characters.  The magician is pretty cool; I hope he helps Ai remember some of the joy she felt as a child.  And I hope Il-Dueng doesn't turn out to be a giant douchebag, because I kinda thought he was nice until the whole thing with the test scores.  :-/

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:50 AM

• LocationToronto

Annarasumanara surprised me.  It's surprisingly darker than most manga I've read.  I think the art is interesting, although the weird way the mangaka draws the boy, Il-Dueng, is very distracting.  The girls consider him handsome even though his neck is probably 10 inches long?  Weird...  Everyone else is drawn normally, so I wonder why he and his family are drawn that way?  It probably has some metaphorical meaning that I don't get.  I hope the story doesn't take a really ugly turn, because it could certainly go that way with both Ai and Il-Dueng's characters.  The magician is pretty cool; I hope he helps Ai remember some of the joy she felt as a child.  And I hope Il-Dueng doesn't turn out to be a giant douchebag, because I kinda thought he was nice until the whole thing with the test scores.  :-/

I think there are two reasons for the drawing choice. One of them in practical/pragmatic.

In Shoujo tropes, he would be the romantic lead/interest/whatever - he’s #1 in class, he’s rich, he’s good at everything (sports) and he’s good looking.

It’s clear almost immediately that the way he *looks* on the page is not actually how anyone else, Ai included, sees him - but the visual drawing makes it absolutely clear that he is not The One. Drawing him this way is the biggest push against expected and common tropes - or rather, against a reader’s reaction to them. 

The thing with the test scores still worked for me. Given what he believes she’s actually doing for money, it was a bitter compromise. He can’t just give her money; the money has to be given for something of equal value - and something she’ll believe, absolutely, he wants. Money for sex, no. Money for pride, yes. She was willing to take a lot of money because she believed that being #1 was the most important thing - to him. He was willing to give her a lot of money. I don’t think she would have accepted it under any other circumstance.

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:55 PM

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Annarasumanara, webtoons, Naver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users