Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello, and welcome to Michelle’s Living Room. You can read the boards, but if you would like to join the discussion, you must register.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2017 VirteQ

Photo

Greetings

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
  • LocationA dry lakebed high in the mountains
Hello,

I am a thirty-something mother of four from the American West.

I love to read, and might do so just a teensy-tiny bit too much. I read fantasy, sci-fi, paranormal, and a little romance. Though, strangely, the only online community I am really active in is Jane Austen fan fiction. I prefer my fiction to wind up generally nice and pleasant, since there is too much unpleasantness in real life.

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:16 PM

~@~ Aquilegia is the genus name of the columbine, my favorite flower. They look like they must have faries living nearby.~@~

~@~My avatar picture is from the painting A Place of Her Own, by James C Christensen.~@~

• LocationToronto

Have you read any of Catie Murphy's Magic and Manners?

I ask because I am one of the only writers I know for whom Jane Austen doesn't quite work; I like modern pastiche and movies, but the originals, not so much.

And Magic and Manners read very much like the originals in tone & style >.>

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:18 PM

I'll need to look into that one. :)

Everyone has different interests and opinions. I, personally, can't abide the Bronte sisters, and I know a lot of people who love their works. It would be a very boring world if we all liked the same things.

For me, it is mostly about the characters, how they interact, what they do, etc... If I cannot like the characters, if I cannot believe in them, it does not matter how exciting the plot is, or how amazing the universe is, I cannot like the book. Lucky for me -- and many others -- you write very interesting, likable characters.

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:34 PM

~@~ Aquilegia is the genus name of the columbine, my favorite flower. They look like they must have faries living nearby.~@~

~@~My avatar picture is from the painting A Place of Her Own, by James C Christensen.~@~

• LocationDeepest, Darkest, South of England

And I would have to argue on whether it is possible to read a teensy-tiny piece too much.

Nevah I say!

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:25 PM

"Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis"

Most Jane Austen seems to be very interesting characters in a very generic love story. (Boy and girl meet, they get seperated, either physically or due to misunderstanding, then they get back together, and live happily ever after.) Because of this there are thousands, of stories based on them. Mostly Pride and Prejudice, though, the characters are very adaptable. Strong female lead, a little too smart, independent,and  brave, sometimes impulsive. The strong silent type hero, who has a good heart, with courage, intelligence, and determination, once you get through the nigh-impervious silence. And a host of minor characters to play with. Because it is out of copyright, and the author is well over a hundred years dead, many of those variations are published, some which are a waste of paper -- or memory as the case may be -- and some which are amazingly good. They are certainly not classic literature, but it is a fun online book club, and can help aspiring authors hone their skills.

My favorites are the paranormal, fantasy, science fiction, and the like.

Spoiler

Though I do beta for a woman who does, mostly, period stories.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:51 AM

• LocationDeepest, Darkest, South of England
Heh, you might want to give a try to the Liaden Universe written by Steve Miller and Sharon Lee.

Best described as "Pride and Prejudice meets Star Wars". Depending on which books of the series you read, it can slide more to the space opera, or more to the culture/behaviour romance edge. All with banter and witty dialogue.

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:33 PM

"Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis"

• LocationUnited Kingdom

Hello everyone! I would like to thank to admin because really its very nice forum and i'm daisy simpson from UK, a freelance writer.

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:40 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users